Saturday, March 11, 2006

Loneliness of the long distance runner, who doesn't blog very often

Okay, two major achievements this week; firstly, I have updated my blog (i know). And second, I have just completed 18 miles.

Now the blog is updated I can blether on about my 18 miler this afternoon.

Went according to plan, completed in a time of 2hrs50mins, which is good, but the last mile was a killer. I was due to do 18 miles last weekend, however, at mile 16 I just stopped. No explanation, I just stopped. Suitably pissed off, there was no way I was going to fail again this week. So off I set at midday, water, lucozade sport (for emergencies - don't rate it but it may become my best friend come April 23rd), gels and SIS cherry energy bar (which at 16 miles tastes like nothing else on earth - lovely).

The route was one that I have pounded many a time, from Hammersmith bridge up to Putney bridge and then the long push down to Richmond lock, then back up to Putney bridge and the finish at Hammersmith bridge. Felt great from miles 1-7, 8 had a bit of a wobble, then felt great from 9-13, then it was up and down thereafter, felt great then weak then great again. Anyhoop, felt great up to Putney on the return leg, then for the last mile I felt like death, really tired, and my legs were just pounding the pavement.

Reached the finish in a suprisingly quick time, I was pretty chuffed not to mention knackered.

So here I am finally at the 18 mile mark. So 20 miles next week, then the Fleet Half marathon, then the big 22.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy.M. said...

Sounds like your well on top of your training (yes I'm jealous).
Good luck on the 23rd

1:20 PM  
Blogger Graeme said...

I'm getting there. I need to update this pesky blog with my 22 mile at the weekend.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home